The stunning new BMW i8 is here and more than the looks it is the technology that it presents is what makes it special. Here are the details regarding this sportscars in condenesed form.
1. First plug-in hybrid vehicle from the BMW Group and the second model from new brand BMW i.
2. It has an combined output of 362 hp ( 231 bhp three-cylinder petrol engine and 131 bhp electric motor) and a max torque of 570 Nm which results in a 0 – 100 km/h of 4.4 seconds along with fuel economy and emissions figures more familiar from a small car.
3. This new sports car has a 2+2-seater format and has its life module passenger cell made from carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic, drive system technology, high-voltage battery, chassis, and crash and structural functions integrated into the aluminium Drive module. Kerb weight is 1,490 kilograms. Impressive.
4. Fantastic design details includes doors that open upwards like wings, full-LED headlights as standard with innovative laser headlights as an option.
5. Driving Experience Control switch and eDrive button allow driver to choose from five driving modes-
a. Range of up to 35 kilometres on electric power alone and a top speed of 120 km/h.
b. COMFORT mode has a combined range in everyday conditions of over 500 kilometres
c. SPORT mode with ultra-intense boost function provided by the electric motor.
d. ECO PRO mode can be used in both all-electric mode and hybrid mode.
6. Feature list includes Navigation system Professional with proactive drive system for all-electric driving, fully-digital instrument display, BMW iDrive with freestanding Control Display. There are four colour choices.